Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

First week

Dag! Familie!

Hope everyone is doing well. It's great to finally be able to write this email! Just like I hoped it wouldn't my p-day came at the last possible day I could have it! So much to say, so little time.. well I guess I'll start off with how my situation is. Upon leaving you guys at the MTC, I waited in line and what not and then as I was checking in I got pulled off to this "special line" I was informed that I was a "solo" elder meaning I was the only elder coming into my mission.. yeah.. kinda through me off.. I have never heard of a solo elder before.. so it's been pretty interesting =) But it gets better, there is also a sister who is going to my mission that came in with me.. but she's the only sister so.. two solo's make up our little class. Her name is Sister Kraemer and she is from Hungary, but was born in Belgium so is a belgium citizen. She speaks Hungarian, English, French and Spanish and since she's lived in belgium for a time, she picks up Dutch like crazy! She's a recent convert to the church, joined about 3 or 4 years ago, and it's been pretty interesting talking to her and what not. Since her and I are the only two in the class, we teach together, and we do companion study together.. and in a sense she's my class companion.. but since Elders and sisters aren't allowed to be called companions, we are technically "teaching partners". Odd situation, in fact when I got here the teachers, and the branch president didn't really know how the situation was going to work. But I got put with two Elders going to Netherlands, and they leave in two weeks now. There names are Elder Bjork and Elder neilson. Both from Utah, both have great personality's and both have been very helpful in helping me get used to the MTC. I'm looking at this whole solo thing as a blessing, since I got paired up with and didn't have to figure out for myself what to do, where things are and what not. And so Elder Bjork and Elder Neilson are my companions in all things outside of class, and are my companions so I"ll refer to them as such. So yeah pretty unique situation, everyone I've talked to has never seen anything like this before. Makes me feel all special inside ;) However since my companions are going to be gone in a couple weeks, no one knows whats going to happen.. I'll be the only Elder in the whole MTC learning Dutch for a period of 3 weeks til' the next batch of "Dutchees" (our term for ourselves) comes in.. so who knows who my companions will be.. maybe danish elders. But I'll let everyone know about that when we get there!

As for the MTC itself, the first 3-4 days were the longest I have ever expirenced in my life. I haven't felt home sick at all (sorry nikki, don't know what you felt when you left =P ) but I have never expireinced a schedule where there was just all work and no relaxing time! It's study, class, eat, study, class eat, study, study, study, then go to bed. It's insane, and the first few days were really long like I said. But once Monday hit, I didn't have to go to any more "new missionary" meetings or what not, so the days have started to become less long.. I am having a blast here, my companions are great, we have great times especially at night, however don't worry I'm very aware of getting to bed on time! Class with teachers is my favorite thing here at the MTC, my two teachers, Bro. Jestice and Bro. Bond are great guys and great teachers, being in a class with only one other person, and one who picks up languages really fast is definitely helping out my learning of the dutch language. I started saying prayers in dutch on my second day, and also bear my testimony the second third day ish.. Rosetta Stone definitely helped, I wish I kept up with it the last few weeks before I left. But yeah, since this is the 7th day, already taught in the TRC.. that was interesting.. never thought teaching would be so hard with a companion.. especially a sister! But were getting better, and were helping each other out a lot.. I mean were both in the same boat and all.. the best is getting all the weird stares as people walk by our classroom and it's only me and her in there.. ha ha it crazy, and I'll let you guys know more about things especially as I get better at writing these email things! I really appreciate all the letters.. I lied earlier I guess, because I love going with my companions to get the mail, and then receiving letters and packages. Thanks to Dawn for sending me the cookies, there a big hit with all the missionary's on my floor =) I lost her address, so I couldn't write her a thank you, but if you could tell her that would be greatly appreciated.. Oh just let you know how things work district wise, were in the older dutch missionary's district.. two elders (my companions) and two sisters (her companions) Sister Perry and Sister Ence.. all really great, and really helpful.. I know because of there kindness and help is why I haven't felt any homesickness.. but doesn't meanI don't miss you all!!

Dear elder is a great site, you can write emails to me and I recieve them in the form of a letter in the mailbox.. and it's the next day delivery.. I reccommend that too all my friends ands sisters.. but only while I"m in the MTC.. okay.. I'm leaving a lot out I know.. but oh yeah had a fireside last night, it was a brother richards, former member of the second quorum of the seventies, it was an amazing talk, and they played a clip of Elder Holland, and what Elder Holland spoke about was why is missionary work so hard.. I mean it's the truth so why aren't people flocking to the baptismal font.. well it's because salvation isn't easy.. the atonement wasn't easy for the savior, so how can we just expect salvation to be easy for ourselves.. we all have to go through a trials and like it says in James chapter 1 verse 22 we have to be doers of the work and not hearers.. I guess that's my main thing I want to leave you all with.. Make sure you always remember that trials in our lives are necessary, and that we will never have to go through what the savior did..
bu
tot ziens

No comments:

Post a Comment