Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Week 4 - (more pictures will be on facebook site)

Goededag mijn familie!!
So first things first, about my brand new colleague's.. there's two that are assigned to me and two other ones in there district, there's also a solo sister that is companions with sister kraemer, she's from sweden.. yeah.. getting the feel for how europeans are already!! prolly a good thing, I'm trying to work on my etiquette, I guess it's big over there? At least the euro sisters say it is.. it's lame, I like to enjoy my food, not think of how I'm going to eat it!! well slower week in the letter department, thanks to my sis tiffani, and DeVan, letters will be sent by the end of day!
So more about the danes, the two I'm with are named Elder Veach and Tolman, Veach is from N.C.. went to SUU for a year before coming.. cool guy.. has red hair. Tolman is fresh out of high school like me.. except with know college experience, he's a goof ball, quick story about him, first day they were here we were at breakfast and the poor kid picked porridge to eat.. well of course he didn't like it, and went to get more food, 15 minutes later were all ready to leave, and we didn't know where he was!! We see him with a full tray of food buttering and putting jam on some toast.. problem for him was it was 8:45 and we had to go to class.. I felt bad but I went up to him and let him know that it was true, it is a buffet, but only in the alotted time. He had to dump the whole tray of food, ha ha I had a good laugh, it's pretty fun being the experienced one and having them ask me all the different questions how to do things and what not.. Makes me feel all important inside ;) There all pretty sweet, even the other two elders always stick with us so we do everything together, that's nice that we have that unity right from the get go. I've been blessed with the companions I've had so far.

So last friday, day before conference one of my teachers Bro. Bond, told me that conference for missionary's was equivalent to the super bowl. I saw what he meant, conference was amazing.. Everything shuts down for those two days, and everything is focused on conference.. I don't think I've ever, in fact I know I've never taken as many notes or listened and understood so many talks.. Every talk I got something out of, and truly was just amazing.. Couple talks that stood out to me was Henry B. Eyring's talk in trusting in god.. I'd go into detail, but I'm losing my typing skills here and I'm already down to ten minutes!!! Other one was Pres Monson's talk on gratitude.. really made me realize how blessed my life has been, and how I haven't showed thanks enough to family and friends. The family that i've had, the way I've been raised the blessings of being friends and knowing the people I've known.. truly blessed, and I'm so grateful to my family and all of my friends.

I made this bullet list of things I wanted to say in this email.. doesn't look like I'm going to get through it all.. oh is well, but one thing I did want to say was sunday night we had an MTC devotional and all we did was sing songs.. and the whole purpose was for the missionary's to realize the importance and power of songs. I thought it was great. Especially with my new calling that I just received. They had some missionary's stand up and give there favorite hymns and why and we sang some pretty good songs.. just none of my favorites =0 no A poor way faring man of grief or Praise to the man.. not even Spirit of God!!! Oh well.. now I know what songs my branch is going to be singing on sunday =) I get to pick =) but the last song we sang was actually pretty neat. One elder went down and said his favorite hymn was the star spangled banner... and he said the reason why is for the words and what this country was founded on.. I thought it was great. The MTC presidency was pretty nervous about singing it but they had to since they said favorite hymns and that is a hymn, so the whole mtc sang the first verse of Star Spangled Banner, it was pretty funny watching sisters Kraemer's and Rhondstrom's (danish sister from sweeden) faces lol Sister Kraemer is a little anti US.. so she didn't like it at all, it was funny. Had a good laugh over that one as well ;)

I've seen and taken pictures with a lot of friends this past weekend, Dustin Belliston, Kyle Shuler, Spencer Smith, Tannen Fawcett,.. Saw Devin Bennett it's really great to see all those guys and see them in a different setting then what were used to seeing each other in..

Also.. had my first haircut from someone not named Dixie Hill!!!! It was intense.. but I think they did a good job, I took pictures of all angles of my head so you'll be able to see family, tell me what you think ;)

So language.. My goals in language is to memorize the Articles of Faith.. so far I have the first 8 down.. It seems the more I focus on the religious side of the language and try to learn that the better my whole dutch is.. We have goals me and sis kraemer, to do english fasts, meaning we can't speak english in class or too each other for the whole day, we do this three times a day, and this last one which was on monday, I actually was able to do it.. I felt like I had hit a wall with the language last, last week, but this last week I felt like I was progressing again.. pretty cool.. pretty excited about all that I"m learning in gospel as well.. down to 30 seconds, just want to say thanks again for all the love and support
Love you all.. hope the email was better this week

Elder Joseph V. Mohrman

No comments:

Post a Comment